Electrical plug socket safety

The new university and college year is just around the corner and looking for student accommodation can be unnerving, especially if you’re doing it for the first time. There are lots of things to consider when choosing accommodation, the main priority however should be safety. Too many people will think about space and cost before safety and end up regretting it later in the year. 

Here at Dalec we offer a large range of electrical services specifically designed to help students and landlords ensure that their properties are safe. From electrical testing through to, maintenance repairs and appliance installations, we take care of all aspects of electrical safety.

Here’s a guide on a few things to keep in mind when looking for student accommodation in Leeds.

Safety Advice for student accommodation

There are danger signs to look for before you move in, such as; 

  • Scorch marks on plugs or sockets:

This is a sign of loose wiring, plugs that are scorched are known to overheat and could even cause a fire.

  • Old fashioned electrics such as light switches and plug sockets:

These can be very common in cheap accommodation. Watch out for this because it’s not worth the risk. Old fashioned electrics are also known to overheat and are likely to cause a fire.

  • Frayed wires:

If you notice any frayed wires around the space, alert your landlord immediately. Frayed wires can pose threats such as electrocution and are also a fire hazard.

Contact Dalec for further information

If you would like to find out more about our electrical services for landlords in leeds please don’t hesitate to get in touch for further information.